Sunday 5 June 2016

Plume IS - Keio University Dormitory

I applied for a Keio University dormitory room for one semester and was assigned to Plume IS. My first choice was actually Motosumiyoshi dorm because it is newer, is in a better location, and best of all has a much lower monthly rent. I guess submitting the housing application only 10min after it opened was an oversight on my part. Future Moto applicants take note: Camp at your computer and make sure you have the dorm application url at the ready. And, hot tip - take into account the time zone difference.

My friend's room at Moto shares the same general layout as a Plume room, just that the outer room where the pantry, washroom, and entrance are located is slightly larger.  But, other than how rooms here lack a microwave, and how our washroom is tiny compared to the ones at Moto, Plume is a pretty decent place to live overall.

Really, it is. Just try not to be overwhelmed with jealousy when you visit your lucky friends at Moto.

Update: Check out Regine's post on Motosumiyoshi here!

Plume IS dormitory details:
  • Rent: 68,300 yen per month
  • Nearest JR station: Shin-Kawasaki, 16min walk 
  • Alternative station: Hiyoshi, 20min walk 
  • Nearest convenience store: Lawson 100, just around the corner block, 1 min walk. Read about where to grocery shop here
  • Communal lounge on first floor with TV, shared large fridge, microwave, drinks vending machines, sauces and condiments, cutlery, electric kettle, plates etc.
  • Futon and fresh bedclothes provided, to change every 3 weeks 
  • Vacuum machines can be borrowed from the store room on the first floor
  • No friends allowed in rooms 
  • Dryer machines can be used for 100 yen (just save money and air dry)
  • Buy all your own pantry equipment and appliances 
Note: Except for the furniture, all items in photos below are my own and were not provided.

keio university plume is dormitory
View of outer room from entrance

keio university plume is dormitory
Shelf above washing machine

keio university plume is dormitory
Washroom (door ajar) opposite pantry

keio university plume is dormitory
Pantry: Stove, Mini fridge, shelves, drying rack, sink, vent

keio university plume is dormitory
View of inner room from pantry

keio university plume is dormitory
View of inner room from balcony. Plastic drawer units under bed. 

keio university plume is dormitory
Tiny wardrobe at left corner of room

keio university plume is dormitory
Balcony for drying clothes. Note the public bath house (building with chimney) on the right

keio university plume is dormitory
Large shelf, desk, chair 

keio university plume is dormitory
Large squarish desk, desk lamp, two power sockets behind desk

11 comments:

  1. Pooh bear lover6 June 2016 at 12:18

    Omg Zenia your dorm is like a hotel room! U even have a washing machine IN your room??! Envious!! Mine doesn't even have windows and the toilet feels like a makeshift one :(
    Even clean air is a luxury here. Sighs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yup! Hahaha wait till you see my friend's room. She even has her own microwave

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!! I just got my confirmation that I will be living in Plume IS from September for my year abroad at Keio, and was just wondering how you found it overall?! Thank you so much for this blog post, really allowed me to get a look good at the apartment before I move in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Glad I helped. :D I really enjoyed living here and have no complaints except for how it is a 20min walk to the station. The room might be old but it is quite luxurious compared to other shoebox university dorms I have visited. There's also a weekly dinner at the first floor lounge if you are interested. The resident assistants will help you settle in when you arrive. I'm going to miss this place when it's time for me to leave. All the best and have fun!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi, your post has been a great help. I'm wondering if you could help me with travelling to and from the airport (Haneda)? What's most convenient/would you recommend? I'll also be at Plume IS this fall, I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I noticed you have a macbook air. What adapter did you use for the ethernet cable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I don't know if this will help, but I just finished my exchange at Keio, staying in Plume IS.

      If you arrive on the first day or early the next, you'll have a big chance at snapping up a wifi modem/router left behind by ex-residents. I highly recommend you go arrive early as there's lots of useful stuff left behind.

      Delete
  6. Hi,

    Thank you for your post! It definitely helps a lot.

    I don't know if it is possible to smuggle a friend into the accommodation to live for few days? How strict are they? Are there guards watching all the time? Just want to see if it's possible to spare the rent for my firend.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi thank you for sharing your experience. I am going to live in Plume IS starting from this September. I am wondering if the rule "No friends allowed to stay overnight", is it really that strict? Becoz I have friends coming over to Japan for a month, I thought we may share the place...

    ReplyDelete